The coming weeks I’ll aim for making a “How to” page. I’ll publish the posts in the blog as well but you can find them on the pages section from now on. Don’t hestitate to ask questions 🙂
The main cistern is based on a plastic ginger bread jar, the tall one in the back from a Pringles tube and the small additional from spray can lids. The pipes are made from plastic “cable collector” pipes and the turn is “real” copper turn propably made for connecting radiators or similar. The small shanty house on the side is based on chicken mesh which you can’t see here. Over this it’s just card board cut into the right shape. For the roof and some of the rubble I used corrugated paper card bought from an artist’s shop.
Now to the rubble: Most parts come from old laptops and printers. The big board on the ground in the front for example is a roughly cut piece of a cicuit board and the cog wheel is from a printer mechanism. If you look closely outside the little “house” it’s a cannister on the ground, it’s made from a condesator (a component on a circuit board to keep it shortly). I use those ones very often on the etire board.
Painting: The entire piece was undercoated with Chaos Black (Games Workshop). Then the ground was roughly airbrushed with Dark Sea Grey (Vallejo Air), the main cistern with Burnt Umber (VA) and the others with German Tank Green (VA). The edges were roughly highlighted with a quick spray of some sand colour from VA. Then all the rusty parts was painted. To begin with I solved some Aged Rust powder (Forge World) with Matt Medium (Vallejo) and dabbed it heavily onto all metal parts. After that I went on to dab it a little lighter with Light Rust (FW) and to finish it it was drybrushed with a little darkened Chainmail (GW). The rubble were painted in different colours mainly GW:s foundation paints in just one layer. Then the entire model more or less were lightly drybrushed with Codex Grey (GW) and probably with a mix of some other colours as well. The warning line on the tall tower was made free handed with Tausept Ochre (GW) and Chaos Black (GW). When everything was finished the number was sprayed using a template and White (VA). The posters were attatched using wood glue and a little wheathered with some washes from GW. The posters were printed out out first of course 🙂 and you can find some of them on the resources page. For the finishing touches the whole piece was splashed with different washes, diluted paints and lightly dabbed with different natural colours mainly rust. I tried to resemble old dust running along the sides. This was made with heavily diluted light grey coluours painted on in different layers.
Details on the backside: The stairs was a real headache! It looks quite nice but it was almost not worth it 🙂 To begin with i cut small sections of foam board and attatched all of them with “seam paste”. This doesn’t dry to quick so you have time to adjust the steps meanwhile. I just worked my way up like laying bricks and really tried to get a nice shape of the stairs. The sides were the covered with plastic card. This was not an easy case either to get it in to the right shape but after a little trial and error it fitted. The concrete block besides the stairs are simply made from the leftovers from some Forge World model.