Final day! And finally I’ve got the army book 🙂 To the painting: every model is now painted, the last few Knights and characters are not based though. They had to dry overnight. I found some old mordheim with hunter models and a classic Warhammer quest wizard. I had some better options but I didn’t want to dip them so I went for these three fellas.
The unit of Knights looks quite massive. I hope cav is getting better in 9th ed, better deliver what you look like if you’re on a horse with a lance wearing armour. I mixed in a few demigryph heads in the unit to get some variance.
I’ve also painted the second cannon and crew.
Overall I think this was an awesome project, painting a 140 model army in one week. The key to ok standards for the paint job was really the dipping technique. I used the army painter quick shade strong tone and I think it was the right decision. I used army painter anti shine afterwards even though I haven’t done it on all the models yet. I’m planning to get some varnish on the blank surfaces again later to help for example metal look shinier again. I tried a few applying techniques for the dip. First I tried to apply it and remove the excess paint with a large brush. It worked fairly but left some brush strokes. Secondly I tried dipping and then remove the excess paint with just air from the airbrush. It left no marks but it didn’t remove as much as I wanted. Finally I used the recommended technique to shake it of. It was definitely the best but be careful to hold the model. The bases took a little damage from the tonges (did I spell that right?) though. I went for a quite easy colour scheme. For the first I did only brush paint about 30% of the total area of the model leaving most of it white. Reikland uniforms are quite handy sometimes. For the second I mostly used on layer for every colour and left the details to the dip. I also used a quite reduced palette. About 6 or 7 colours for each model.
I’ll finish the last bases in a few days. I’m going back to work tomorrow… The first plan were to include some huntsmen and a volley gun but the didn’t have any in store so I’ll have to get them later. I think I’ll get an extra rank to the spearmen horde as well with some flagellants and outsiders. And yeah of course another wizard.
Last, I want to write a few words about the basing. I think the crack paint agrellan earth and agrax earthshade worked totally awesome together! Such an easy way to do great looking bases in just two layers. I finished the of with some green grass.
That’s it for now. Crazy week! About 70 hours of painting on 140 models. I’ll fix the last details and then I want to try ’em on the battlefield!